Laboratory Officer at ICAP (Columbia University) – 4 Openings
Laboratory Officer at ICAP (Columbia University) – 4 Openings
ICAP (Columbia University) is a global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP has worked since 2003 with one central goal: to improve the health of families and communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Officer
Job No.: 495206
Locations: Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Niger
Work type: Regular Full-Time
Categories: Program Management / Implementation / Support
Reports To (Title): State Epidemic Control Advisor
Incumbent: N / A
- Working under the supervision of the Epidemic Control Advisor for the RISE project in Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Niger States in Nigeria (with specific technical guidance and direction of the Senior Laboratory Advisor), the Laboratory Officer will oversee the laboratory component of the RISE project working closely with the State Ministries of Health, laboratory departments in supported facilities and ad hoc laboratory personnel in their assigned states.
- The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing laboratory systems, strengthening laboratory activities, capacity building as well as laboratory quality management support to the State program team, the State Ministry of Health and other implementing partners.
- The incumbent will also support performance management in the laboratory program area at the State level.
The Laboratory Officer will:
- Support the implementation of state level laboratory strategic objectives of the RISE project with specific emphasis on optimizing laboratory monitoring of Recipients of Care (ROCs) through Viral Load eligibility monitoring, timely sample collection and management as well as availability, documentation and use of Viral Load Results. Collaborate with the Senior Laboratory Advisor and existing State lab teams to facilitate the development, review and implementation of laboratory QA/QC programs, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and manuals for all laboratory-related aspects of the RISE project.
- To provide technical leadership in communicating HIV Surge urgencies and evidence-based performance optimization strategies in assigned RISE facility(ies) and/or Local Government Area.
- To provide mentorship and supervision to strengthen performance and quality of Laboratory Services through laboratory optimizers (or champions), facility and community case management teams and EID focal persons for achieving linkage to optimized ART, client education and retention, and management of virologically unsuppressed clients.
- Facilitate technical assistance for diagnosis of co-infections (particularly TB and OIs in advanced HIV disease or AHD spectrum), recency testing, early infant diagnosis (EID) and HIV rapid testing continuous quality improvement program at supported service points.
- Provide technical assistance for Laboratorians in RISE supported facilities to ensure maintenance and efficient use of instrumentation for Flow cytometry for CD4 phenotyping and GeneXpert for MTB/RIF diagnosis.
- Facilitate accurate laboratory specimen data reporting, routine laboratory data analysis and interpretation of laboratory results from the RISE project and provide feedback on ways to improve/streamline laboratory procedures and systems.
- Work closely with NiSRN Logistic Officers, 3PLs and health facilities to ensure that client samples for HIV VL, EID, CD4 and TB (from community and facility service delivery points) are correctly collected, processed and transported and that results are returned in a timely manner.
- Coordinate Laboratory commodity supply, management and reporting for laboratory consumables, reagents, and RTKs to prevent stock-outs and eliminate wastages.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen laboratory systems through the implementation of ISO 15189 requirements and the SLMTA/SLIPTA accreditation processes
- Craft and share new initiatives and innovations that will efficiently drive the TMEC-RISE laboratory program area to success
- Review and provide regular updates on implementation of strategies for Laboratory Services to SO and CO Teams including laboratory specific reports, weekly and monthly presentations to State teams; contributions to monthly and quarterly State and Program reports as well as other updates based on request.
- Work closely with the State Epidemic Control Advisor and the Senior Laboratory Lead to develop project work plans, monitor progress towards program objectives and timelines, including regular reporting to and communication with RISE leadership, USAID, and ICAP in New York
- Represent RISE in Laboratory related State Level Meetings with State stakeholders and make presentations as it may be required.
- Document project training and technical assistance activities and contribute to the production and dissemination of technical reports, guides, manuals, success stories, and other printed resources and toolkits.
- Stay up-to-date and serve as a repository on new information and knowledge in ART clinical management and programming.
- Routinely attend and provide appropriate technical leadership in RISE program meetings, executing resolutions within her/his purview as appropriate.
- Participate in the recruitment process, training and supervision of teams of ad hoc laboratory personnel when required.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or its equivalent.
Experience, Skills & Minimum Required Qualifications
- At least five (5) years experience in laboratory systems optimization and service delivery management within the context of PEPFAR HIV programs.
- Experience in PEPFAR laboratory commodity procurement procedures and equipment as well as stock tracking and inventory management required.
- Experience with lab-related data management systems including but not limited to Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) preferred.
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English and oversee the development of comprehensive program reports
- Travel within an assigned state in Nigeria conducting site visits with occasional travel outside of the assigned state.
Application Closing Date
23rd May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online