Data Science Specialist at Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)
Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Science Specialist – BMGF Africa HCD+
Job Code: 7449
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Background of the Project
- Africa (HCD+) is a platform funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and will have the capability to serve as an African voice for advocacy, accountability and transparency on HCD.
- It will seek to accelerate political commitments, decision-making and funding for key priorities towards realising SDGs #1-6 in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- It aims to incubate regional advocacy and technical assistance hub on Human Capital Development towards increasing African Government’s commitment, funding, and accountability to HCD.
- The platform, through increased HCD advocacy, focuses on three pillars:
- Health and Nutrition;
- Education, skills and labour participation;
- Entrepreneurship, financial inclusion, and digital economy.
- Also, HCD sits across multiple Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in many African governments. Hence, no organisation holds an integrated vision for HCD.
- An HCD-focused institution can further help the HCD agenda on the continent. It will focus on four missions:
- Create transparency on the HCD performance across the continent;
- Advocate with heads of state and decision-makers to make HCD a priority;
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with stakeholders and decision-makers;
- Selectively drive the implementation of flagship programs in education, health and economic inclusion.
- The programme has since commenced its activities in Abuja.
Summary of the Role
- The primary objective of the Data Science Specialist is to extract data from multiple sources, using machine learning tools to organize, process, clean, validate and analyze the data for information purposes.
- In addition; The position will report to the Program Manager.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Provide balanced analytical research by turning raw data into valuable insights that help to drive actions and strategies.
- Interprets and analyses data from multiple sources to develop imaginative solutions to problems.
- Conduct analyses, formulate insights, and summarize and synthesize findings for presentation to the line of business management.
- Develop timely, innovative, and objective analysis, which leads to fact-based solutions for strategic business issues.
- Maintain an understanding of general business trends and requirements support area, and understand the link between analysis and project impact.
- Hands-on experience in planning, developing and managing predictive and prescriptive analytics projects/solutions.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data-gathering techniques.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics or a related field.
- 4-6 years of working experience as a data scientist or business data analyst.
- Maintain knowledge in statistics, mathematics and/or comparable quantitative area of expertise
- Technical expertise in data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organise, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Proficient in office automation tools (e.g. Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Excellent written, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English language is required. Knowledge of the French language is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online