Country Finance Officer at ACTED Nigeria
Country Finance Officer at ACTED Nigeria
ACTED – Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 14 million beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Country Finance Officer
Reference No.: CFO / NIA
Present in Nigeria since 2017, ACTED teams are supporting displaced and conflict-affected populations in the North-East of the country, around Maiduguri, with a coordination office based in Abuja. The NGO provides emergency assistance to the most vulnerable populations through a variety of activities, such as building emergency shelters, distributing non-food items, assisting in the management of camps for displaced persons or providing logistical support as well as information management services to the humanitarian community.
You Will Be In Charge Of
Accounting and treasury Management:
- Accounting management – supervise the accounting cycle for the mission:
- Ensure timely and accurate data entries in cashbook, bankbook and SAGA following the standard descriptions defined in ACTED’s Global Finance Procedure Manual;
- Verify and coordinate the monthly compilation accounts from each area;
- Supervise cash and bank balance checking process when closing the monthly accounts;
- Communicate accounts on a monthly basis to HQ, respecting SAGA procedures and deadlines in line with the monthly accounting schedule as per ACTED’s Finance Procedures;
- Manage the presentation, circulation, filing of vouchers and archiving of accounting and financial documents in compliance with FLAT and Finance procedures (maintain an up-to-date filing follow-up: A8.01_Red Cell Game); Review on a random basis quality and compliance of documentation from areas when centralizing;
- Supervise the Yearly and Midyear Accounting Closures for both General and Analytical Accountancy aspects (V1 and V2).
- Treasury management – ensure a controlled and smooth cash management:
- Ensure justified bank selection process, open/close bank accounts under the authority of the CEO;
- Oversee the management of bank accounts: control, follow and make sure flows are properly lettered (advances, transfers, etc.), check balances and justifications, authorised visas; Report to HQ through the flows reporting tool A1_PRATIC;
- Supervise the management of safes and cash: available amount, balance checks, security instructions;
- Assess monthly cash-flow needs for projects and areas, fill and share the form A4.01_Cash Request on the 15th of each month;
- Manage money transfers, areas cash-supply and amounts in circulation, whilst defining payment procedures (bank transfer, cheque, cash etc.);
- Make sure donors are invoiced on time and report it through the tool A4.04_ATROCE, comply with good practices described in the Money In Acted HOUse Plan (MIAHOU).
Commitment of expenditures, budget control, & Financial Management:
- Commitment of expenditure – guaranty budget availability and compliance to ACTED and donor’s procedures before releasing payments:
- Collect visas of authorised staff members, set-up commitment ceiling in local currencies, define methods and timescales for payment;
- Before commitment / payment of any expenditure, check authorization levels, budget availability, budget line on which the expense is to be allocated to, ensuring full compliance with ACTED and donors procedures:
- In close coordination with the Country Logistics Manager (CLM) or equivalent, negotiate terms of contracts including payment schedule & taxes obligations; ensure that procurement procedures are adhered to; Follow-up commitments and payments through the tool A7.02_Contract Follow-Up (CFU); Ensure financial, compliance & budget control points during Purchase Committee meetings; review coherence between orders, quotations/offers, purchase orders, call for tender documentation, procurement memo, contract, invoices, receipts, works/services completion certificates; Check the receiver’s ability to endorse payment;
- In close coordination with the Admin Team, ensure that staff contracts are in line with ACTED standard salary grid, available budgets and regulations; propose salary grids revisions based on benchmarks, national legislation and budget constraint; review and validate the payroll on the 25th of each month;
- Validate partner’s accounting and documentation accuracy and compliance before payement.
- Project budget follow-up, mission’s cost control, internal & external audits – anticipate and mitigate financial risks ensuring operations are run in a compliant and cost-efficient manner:
- Lead Budget Follow-Up (A7.01) and Allocation Tables (A5) consolidation process;
- Analyse/report gaps between planned budgets and actual expenses; comply to the flexibility rule;
- Anticipate financial risks, present budget updates and mitigation plans during FLAT meetings;
- Analyse and report monthly running costs, fleet and communication of each area (A6.01-04)
- Prevent and report any financial and operational loss (A6.01 ACT follow-up);
- Submit to HQ all the annexes of the internal financial follow-up reporting tool (TITANIC) by the 15th of each month;
- Follow-up Exit Forms for international staff and make sure they are sent to HQ once validated;
- Take the lead on external audit preparation in support to the country compliance teams if any; Contribute to opening/closeout meetings, responses to audit reports, recommendations’ implementation plans.
Project financial cycle management
- Develop project budgets and reports – ensure the financial feasibility of projects, respecting ACTED and donors’ rules and deadlines :
- Gather information from the relevant departments to consolidate budgets for project proposals according to project/mission needs and donor constraints; Propose sufficient programme and support budgets including mission’s investment plans in close link with country coordination;
- Review and negotiate terms of grant contracts before signature (payment & financial reporting schedule, use of HQ cash-pooling system, etc.);
- Plan, consolidate, draft & crosscheck with Project Development Department (PDD) financial reports when required (ad’hoc, interim and final), respecting contractual deadlines and rules such as flexibility, eligibility and liquidation period, etc.;
- Follow-up payments from donors and financial project close-out (contract liquidation).
Team leadership & other tasks:
- Update the organization chart and ToRs of the finance and administration departments (if applicable) according to the mission development;
- Oversee the team, plan & conduct finance staff recruitments, undertake appraisals, follow career management, identify staff with potential and contribute to ACTED internal mobility policy; Ensure training and capacity building for finance team members of ACTED and Partners in order to increase the level of technical ability and skills;
- Actively promote strong & structured articulations with all teams (Logistics & PDD in particular); Represent ACTED with relevant finance & admin networks at country level;
- Improve information flows within the department and with other departments;
- Plan field monitoring missions;
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Experience / Training:
- Master’s degree minimum in Finance or related area;
- 1+ year of solid experience in financial management and monitoring systems, preferably of large development
- programs, possibly complemented by academic expertise;
- Excellent financial and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on programme financial performance;
- Ability to manage a financial/monitoring team and demonstrate leadership;
- Ability to monitor and evaluate financial and monitoring skills of communities through capacity-building
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset;
- Fluency in English required – ability to communicate in local languages an asset;
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management software
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD.
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances.
Application Closing Date
14th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application including Cover Letter and CV to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.