Assistant Technical Officer – Nutrition & Dietetics (ATO-ND) at the Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS)
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer – Nutrition & Dietetics (ATO-ND)
- Under the direct supervision of the Field Operations Team lead, the ATO-ND is expected to support the implementation of the nutrition components of the intervention.
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Member of the health outreach team working collaboratively to ensure integration of nutrition services are provided for refugees and host communities in settlements and PHCs
- Identify training needs and build technical capacity of PHC nutrition unit, support mothers club, group promoters and Community IYCF.
- Support CMAM and IYCF services including Growth Promotion and Monitoring, organize and participate in food demonstration sessions periodically, conduct regular focus group discussions with beneficiaries to assess barriers and effective referrals
- Ensure monthly physical inventory of all nutrition supplies ensuring stock levels are accounted for and adequate for the outreach teams and PHCs.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to health workers in PHCs on nutrition services
- Organize and participate in food demonstration sessions periodically in supported PHCs, communities and settlements
- Work with the Mothers Club (MC) volunteers to identify locally available nutritional foods for prevention of malnutrition and community management of acute malnutrition.
- Support the MCs in setting up nutrition and hygiene promotion related livelihood initiatives such as backyard gardening, saponification etc
- Conduct regular focus group discussions with beneficiaries to assess barriers to optimal IYCF uptake
- Ensure Gender mainstreaming in nutrition, and integration of other sectors
- Engage in community dialogue, sensitize stakeholders/community on IYCF-E activities and specific humanitarian programs implemented by NRCS.
- Lead the conduct of nutrition assessment surveys such as SMART, SENS etc
- Support the team in the development of Terms of References for planned activities such as capacity building, missions, meetings, stakeholder engagements etc.
- Review the teams weekly, monthly and quarterly project reports
- Review retirements and other financial documents before submission to NHQ
- Submit reports of Project activities to the NHQ
Duties Applicable to all Staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of staff and management, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- Good leadership and accountability skills
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office tools
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Understanding of NRCS Fundamental Principles and Code of Conduct
- Communicating, and a curious and effective listener
- Ability to protect the reputation of NRCS through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally minded and showing respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure.
Application Closing Date
25th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.