Assistant Technical Officer – Mental Health (ATO-MH) at the Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS)
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer – Mental Health (ATO-MH)
- Under the supervision of Field Operations Team lead, The Assistant Technical Officer – Mental Health (ATO-MH) will support the integration of Mental Health and Psychosocial support to the health and nutrition intervention to the Cameroon refugees and host communities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Member of the medical outreach team that ensure integration of mental health in all project activities and serve as protection focal point for medical outreaches and PHC related services
- Ensure management of mental healthcare at the PHC level and initiating referrals where necessary
- Providing Psychological First Aid and Psychosocial support for Victims of violence and sexual abuse
- Identify and adequately refer protection cases
- Ensure burial support payment are paid to bereaved relatives of PoCs, including verification of death certificates and mitigating fraud
- Conduct SGBV audit in collaboration with UNHCR and other Partners
- Follow up on PoCs with MHPSS cases in the settlement or host communities to prevent/track defaulters, drug refill and compliances to medication
- Organise events to promote positive behaviours and practices of MHPSS and prevent SGBV in the settlement and communities
- Set up structures or leverage on existing structures to target the youths to promote GB and MHPSS services in the settlement and host communities.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to health workers in PHCs on proper management and treating trauma related problems
- Provide mentorship and guidance to health workers in MHPSS.
- Support the team in the development of Terms of References for planned activities such as capacity building, missions, meetings, stakeholder engagements etc.
- Review the teams weekly, monthly and quarterly project reports
- Review retirements and other financial documents before submission to NHQ
- Submit reports of Project activities to the NHQ.
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of staff and management, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager
Essential Skills and Competencies
- Good leadership and accountability skills
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office tools
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Understanding of NRCS Fundamental Principles and Code of Conduct
- Communicating, and a curious and effective listener
- Ability to protect the reputation of NRCS through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally minded and showing respect to the views
- Ability to work under pressure.
Application Closing Date
25th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.