Senior Country Economist Local Professional (ECVP), ECCE0 at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Country Economist Local Professionnal (ECVP), ECCE0
Location: Luanda, Angola
Position N°: 50072425
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The Complex is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
The local Country Economist will focus on effectively supporting:
- The monitoring of the economic and social situation in the country covered,
- Economic and sector work to deepen country knowledge and,
- The preparation of Country Strategy Papers and other relevant documents (mid-term review, completion report, etc.).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management, the local Country Economist will:
- Analyze the economic and financial situations of assigned Regional Member Countries, using internal and external information sources, and determine the implications for the programming and updating of Bank Group operations such as defined in the Country Strategy Paper.
- Examine the impact of Bank Group operations in the countries concerned.
- Undertake assigned Economic and Sector Work, focusing mainly on preparing papers on relevant economic and financial issues in the development process.
- Identify, prepare, evaluate and monitor the implementation of macroeconomic programmes.
- Carry out the analysis required to prepare Country Strategy Papers based on the regional member countries’ poverty reduction and growth promotion strategies and/or the Governments’ Development Agendas, and the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy and High 5s.
- Maintain effective communication with the sector departments and divisions, and other relevant units in the Bank to ensure a coordinated approach in the implementation of the Bank’s Strategy and lending operations in assigned country.
- Participate in Country Portfolio Reviews.
- Participate in the preparation and monitor implementation of measures under budget support loans in collaboration with the Governance, Economic & Financial Management Department; and in the preparation of information notes on economic reforms programs and institutional support;
- Participate in aid coordination activities with bilateral and multilateral donors with emphasis on promoting the co-financing of projects and programmes.
- Participate in country dialogue.
- Participate in the preparation of annual and triennial lending programmes.
- Develop and build client relations at all levels and plays a promotional role in generating new business for the Bank.
- Participate in organisational activities designed to enhance the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank such as the preparation of briefing and advisory documents.
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics or other relevant fields or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of Five (5) years of relevant experience working on African Development Issues in an international organization, national government or a reputable organization.
- Good grasp of the developing countries in general and of the country covered in particular including Lusophone countries; experience in macroeconomic management issues and the economics of development.
- Technical and quantitative skills as an applied development macroeconomist.
- Policy dialogue skills; including ability to effectively interact with national authorities and technical and financial partners on policy and aid coordination issues;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to deliver results on time.
- Very good knowledge of portfolio management and demonstrated knowledge of economics and analytical skills.
- Problem solving capabilities coupled to innovation skills and change management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of Portuguese.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Application Closing Date
5th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Only applicants who are nationals of Angola or are nationals of Member countries of the bank who already have a pre-existing legal right to live and work in angola will be considered for this position. The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocation in relation to this post.
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and /or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level.
- The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.