Psychosocial Worker at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychosocial Worker
Number of Position:01
Contract Start Date: 1stJune2021
Contract End Date: 31stJuly, 2021(renewable based on availability of funding)
- Under the direct supervision of the MHPSS Project Manager, the psychosocial worker will perform all MHPSS activities in the field, including the provision of individual and group sessions, referrals to other services and conduct awareness sessions.
- S/he will fill data records, and perform data entry on a weekly basis.
- S/He will take part in weekly office meetings, attend formal trainings, on job trainingand provide weekly case presentations.
Responsibilities and Task
Implementation and Monitoring of the MHPSS Activities:
- Provide psychosocial support to people in the community in psychosocial / psychological distress through individual and / or group sessions
- Refer people presenting symptoms of severe psychological distress, mental disorders and substance use to specialised services following the internal procedures
- Follow up on internal and external referrals (specialised services, basic services, etc.)
- Work in collaboration with other departments’ and provide guidance to them on PSS.
- Ensure the content of the session remains confidential and that ethical practices areobserved in a culturally appropriated way, especially with respect to gender sensitivities.
- Perform community awareness on symptoms of mild to moderate psychological / psychosocial distress
Communication and Reporting:
- Fill in the MHPSS data collection tools and file them in a secured manner
- Fill in all reporting and data collection forms on a daily basis
- Do the weekly data entry of collected information from the field
- Attend the weekly MHPSS Team meetings
- Attend all MHPSS related trainings provided.asrequested
- Assist with any other related activities as deemed necessary by the MHPSS PM
Supervision of Pyschosocial Awareness Volunteers:
- Manage the PAVs and ensure that they are compliant with the procedures
- Supervise the work of the PAVs by conducting regular field visits during awareness sessions and recreational activities
- With the support of the MHPSS PM, provide trainings to PAV on PFA, communication skills, self-care and other PSS related topics
- Participates in the recruitment process of PAV
- Follow-up with finance to ensure PAVs’ monthly incentives are paid on time
- Ensures that awareness sessions are appropriately conducted following the MHPSS guidelines
- With the support of the MHPSS PM, manage problems or difficulties encountered by PAV during community awareness session
- Ensures proper data collation of individuals reached during door to door / community awareness sessions
Logistics and Administrations:
- Supports the logistical and administrative organization, planning, and preparation as directed by thePM
- Ensures the safety and proper use of materials and tools related to MHPSS activities during on-site works
- Supports the supply of materials to the work site as directed by the supervisor
- Good Communication in English (Speaking, Reading, & writing) and fluent in Local Languages (Hausa)
- Degree / Certificate in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Nursing or other related fields
- Experience in working as a psychosocial worker, or psychosocial counselor, or community social worker
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of local areas and community structures oAble to work in a stressful environment and move around to work in Health Facilities and Safe SpacesoAble to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent knowledge of the MS Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Good team player
- Good reporting skill assets
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to work independently in the field
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Team player
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Note: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online