Monitoring & Evaluation Assistants at CARE International – 2 Openings
CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Assistant
Locations: Dikwa and Rann, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
- The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant is responsible for monitoring operations of the relief projects’ M&E system to support programme management and accountability functions.
- He/she contributes toward the relevance, effectiveness and efficiency of the Design, Monitoring, & Evaluation (DME) unit as well as the overall CARE vision programming.
Responsibilities and Tasks
MEAL System Development and Implementation (% of Time: 30%):
- With the support from the MEAL Officer and in close collaboration with partners, design the project’s MEAL framework
- Coordinate on designing pre and post training evaluation questionnaire that responds to the needs of the project
- Coordinate data gathering for reviews and evaluations and contribute to project evaluation processes
- In close coordination with the MEAL Officer and Project Manager, effectively liaise with the project partners and provide support as needed to develop, improve, and update methodologies and tools for data collection, analysis and processing, ensuring these are gender sensitive
Develop Monitoring and Impact Indicator for the Project Success (% of Time: 50%):
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results
- Supervise all M&E casual workers (Enumerators and Data Entry clerks)
- Conduct training for casual workers on data collection methodologies
- Provide supervision for quantitative data collection activities
- Conduct data quality checks in the field and ensure accuracy and completeness of survey questionnaires
- Provide supervision for data entry of quantitative data, clean data and conduct data analysis.
- Compile data from surveys using relevant and appropriate computer packages
- Ensure that hard copies and soft copies of data collected is kept at project sites
- Prepare informative field reports, identify shortcomings and make relevant recommendations on a regular basis
- Assist in the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that strategies are implemented according to plan
- Monitor the sustainability of the project’s results;
- Provide feedback to the MEAL Officer on project strategies and activities;
- Report monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all project activities to the program manager and Emergency Coordinator.
- Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the program manager/officer in preparing relevant reports;
- Support monitoring and evaluation of the effects and impact of the project;
- Assist the project personnel with M&E tools and in supporting them in their use.
- Assist the program manager/officer in preparing other relevant reports;
- Assist project manager/officer in the preparation of reports on the findings and lessons learned from project innovations
Perform any other tasks assigned by the MEAL Officer or her/his designate (% of Time: 15%)
Problem Solving (Thinking Environment)
There are three levels of problem-solving:
- What has to be done and how to do it are clearly defined, and the incumbent will face identical or similar problems on a regular basis
- What has to be done is known, but how to do it is not defined. The incumbent must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategy to address a given problem; and
- Why things are done is known, but what has to be done and how to do it are not defined.
- Situations are variable and the incumbent’s response will involve analysis, problem definition, development of alternatives, and making recommendations. She will face and address problems that are typically non-recurring.
Education / Training
- B.Sc or HND in related Development Studies, Social Sciences, etc, with at least 1 year working experience in similar role
- Demonstrate excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Have a high level of computer literacy.
- Have advanced quantitative skills, including knowledge of statistical programs
- Have strong organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Have an ability to manage diverse activities and to meet deadlines required; flexibility to changing situations and priorities desired.
- Demonstrate an understanding of international development issues.
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and/or lead the efforts to effectively meet M&E needs.
- Minimum of 1 year experience on MEAL in the field of development
- Excellent understanding and practical experience with MS Office application, especially
- MS Word and Excel.
- Knowledge on simple Excel functions, including formulas and creating graphs from data sets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to gender equality and social justice, including to the aims and
- objectives of CARE.
- Ability to work under pressure, ability to prioritize and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Potential and flexibility of attitude to learn and take on new tasks
- Previous experience working with an INGO or a Development organization.
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- At least 2 years experience of work in emergency or development context projects, preferably in monitoring and evaluation roles (M&E) or in project management roles.
- Basic understanding on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning.
- Background on database management
- Experience in working with quantitative and qualitative data.
- Strong level of autonomy to provide independent follow through on processing issues and concerns
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Details focus
- Strong team player
- Strong problem solving, analytical, operational, and coordinating abilities
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service focus and ability to work well with people from various backgrounds and cultures at all levels in organization.
Application Closing Date
14th May, 2021.