Midwife at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Contract
Contract Start Date: 1st June 2021
Contract End Date: 31st July, 2021 (renewable based on the availability of funding)
- Under the direct supervision of the SRH or OPD supervisor, the Midwife provides MNCH/ SRH care services, including ANC, PNC, Basic Emergency Obstetric, and Neonatal Care, and family planning, etc.
- S/he follows PUI obstetrical and Sexual Reproductive Health protocols and universal standards to ensure quality and continuity of care.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare all the materials and ensure that everything is ready before starting the activities.
- Perform antenatal consultations including screening tests according to the protocols, detect and mention all the risk factors.
- Conduct delivery according to the protocols, precautions, hygiene standards.
- Perform postnatal consultations during the 6 weeks following the delivery, give appropriate treatment and refers to secondary care when needed.
- Perform family planning consultations and counseling according to protocol.
- Give systematic prophylactic treatments to pregnant women.
- Verify the tetanus vaccination of each pregnant woman.
- Manage SRH emergency cases with the assistance of the SRH supervisor according to PUI protocols and regulations.
- Identify Sexually GenderBased Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment.
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment.
- Request for a 2nd evaluation of the patient when needed.
- Provide individual health promotion during consultations.
- Give health education sessions to the patients in the waiting areas.
- Provide malnutrition prevention including MUAC and weight measurements of children.
- Providing information, emotional support, and reassurance to women and their partners.
- Execute any action requested by the DPM, SRH supervisor as part of the outbreak response plan.
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team.
- Record in a readable manner the health status and medical prescription.
- Participate in the follow-up of waste management according to the waste management procedures.
- Be available on call for emergencies at any time of the day and night all week.
- Ensure that all patients and their relatives are treated equally, with respect of ethical and confidential issues and according to the Première Urgence Internationale chart.
Management of an Efficient Referral System:
- Manage the emergency and electives referral cases according to the referral protocol by facilitating the logistics including transportation means, an appointment with specialists, laboratory tests, etc. in collaboration with SRH supervisor.
- Follow up the referred cases, and check the outcome.
- Ensuring appropriate follow-up care has been given and taking appropriate action if further care is needed.
- Identify and refer patients who need mental health consultation.
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Record accurately and in a readable manner, the clinical case management on the patient health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.), and patient registration book.
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data.
- Participate in the daily tracking of consumption of the drugs and materials used from the medical box.
- Collect general information about the people living conditions
- Participate in the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with SRH Supervisor and the deputy program manager.
- Ensure a clear verbal and written handover at every end of the shift, with emphasis on specific events.
- Adhere to the supervisor with regards to work schedules, record keeping, patient communications, restocking of necessary drugs, consumables, and other items.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey…according to the needs and as directed
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
- Comply with PUI security procedures at all times.
- Remain aware of the security situation in office and clinic locations at all times and provide feedback to the health program manager.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required by direct supervisor.
- Be available for any emergency.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are nonexhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Ensure the quality of care provided to patients in PUI health facility scale up on the plan should be developed according to the frame assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive-age women to identify risk factor.
- Build the capacity of the community health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health.
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Language Skills: Good command in English (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) and fluent in Local Languages (Hausa and Kanuri)
- Education Degree: Recognized MIDWIFE DEGREE (at least CERTIFICATE level) with National Legislation
- Work Experience: 2 – 3 years of experience in MIDWIFERY. work experience with other NGOs would be an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Technical knowledge about the use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation
- Good practice in conduction of deliveries
- Interests in working in Humanitarian relief
- Excellent communication, conflict solving, and diplomacy skills to manage the relationship in potentially tense situations
- Team Spirit
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the
- Organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check the validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online