Midwife Assistant at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission was officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent humanitarian needs, including improving access to food commodities for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC), later adding Primary Health Care and Nutrition activities. This initial intervention was focused on populations living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) LGA. The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated programming from 2017 onward in Bolori II sub-ward of MMC, in food security, livelihoods, nutrition, health, and Protection and Community Outreach (PCO), with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In 2018, PUI also started MHPSS activities. In parallel, PUI is supporting the coordination mechanisms through the Logistics Sector by consolidating and transporting humanitarian partners’ cargo funded by WFP since 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Midwife Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Start Date: 1st June, 2021
Contract End Date: 31st July, 2021 (renewable based on availability of funding)
- The midwife assistant will work under the direction and supervision of a registered midwife, within the agreed policies/procedures laid down by PUI, the midwife is responsible and accountable for any decision to delegate the assistant midwife based on sound clinical judgment on assigned task /procedure.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare all the material and equipment and ensure that everything is ready before starting the activities.
- Perform rapid evaluation of sick pregnant women, including vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, respiration); and concurrently finding out the history of present and past illnesses either from her or relatives.
- Assist Midwife to perform antenatal consultations including screening tests according to the protocols, detect and mention all the risk factors
- Assist midwife to conduct delivery according to the protocols, precautions, hygiene standards
- Assist midwife to perform postnatal consultations during the 6 weeks following the delivery.
- Observe changes in the condition of women in ANC, labor and report promptly to the midwife.
- Assist midwife to perform family planning consultations and counseling according to protocol.
- Give systematic prophylactic treatments to pregnant women.
- Verify the tetanus vaccination of each pregnant woman
- Inform the midwife about the condition of a pregnant woman who may need quick intervention before referral to a higher level of care.
- Assist the midwives in clinical areas with obstetric emergencies and referrals according to PUI protocols and regulation.
- Assist the midwife to resuscitate a pregnant /postpartum women/newborn before transfer
- Follow initial assessment done by a midwife and continue care plan, undertake routine observation and report any abnormalities to the midwife.
- Identify Sexually Gender-Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment.
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment.
- Assist midwives with admission and discharge of mothers and babies.
- Support women with personal hygiene as required.
- Monitor and measure fluid intake and output and record on the chart.
- Takes accurate vital signs and document on the chart and report concerns to the midwife.
- Collect and label specimens as instructed by midwife and send to the laboratory.
- Decontaminate instruments as per set standards, before sending to the sterilization unit.
- Provide individual and group health education to patients concerning safe motherhood, care of the new born, IYCF (Infant and Young child feeding), Family Planning and general Sexual Health.
- Provide malnutrition prevention including MUAC and weight measurements of children.
- Providing information, emotional support, and reassurance to women and their partners.
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team.
- Participate in the follow-up of waste management according to the waste management procedures.
- Ensure that all patients and their relatives are treated equally, with respect of ethical and confidential issues and according to Première Urgence Internationale chart.
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Record accurately and on a readable manner, the clinical case management, beneficiary information and intervention on health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.) and patient registration book.
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data.
- Participate in the daily tracking of consumption of the drugs and materials used from the medical box.
- Participate in the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with SRH Supervisor and the deputy program manager.
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Ensure a clear verbal and written hand over at every end of the shift, with emphasis on specific events.
- Adhere to the supervisor with regards to work schedules, record keeping, patient communications, re-stocking of necessary drugs, consumables and other items.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey according to the needs and as directed
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
- Comply with PUI security procedures at all times.
- Remain aware of the security situation in office and clinic locations at all times and provide feedback to the health program manager.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required direct supervisor.
- Be available for any emergency.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factor
- Build the capacity of the community Health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health
- Provide frequent feedback on health – illness patterns observed in the phcc that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
- The Tasks and Responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Recognized Midwifery Degree or be a Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian Health Care Legislation.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Midwifery or SRH especially in maternity.
- Work experience with other ngo’s would be an asset.
- Good Command in english (Speaking, Reading & Writing) and fluent in local languages (Hausa and Kanuri).
Knowledge and Skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good ability for team work
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation.
- Good team spirit
- Compliance to work under supervision.
- Interests: Working in Humanitarian relief.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2021.