Logistic Assistant at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistic Assistant
Requisition ID: req15790
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Supply Chain
Position Reports to: Snr. Area Manager.
Position directly supervises: Storekeeper, Drivers.
Indirect Reporting: Logistics Manager.
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
- The Logistics assistant ensures the efficient and effective management of the IRC’s logistics functions in Gwoza base office. The position will directly supervise a storekeeper, IRC drivers and rental vehicle drivers in Gwoza base office.
- Be accountable for periodic cycle count as per the standard operating procedure to ensure that stock management system is adhered to by staff/storekeepers.
- Lead in conducting fiscal year end stock inventories and ensure that effective stock inventory report is produced for Gwoza base.
- Assist programs to establish and implement a reliable stock distribution plan to avoid closed grant or expired items in the warehouses.
- Provide on-going training and support to the storekeepers in their relevant functions and reporting.
- Oversee warehouse operations in Gwoza, ensuring proper stock-keeping records, storage conditions, security, and facility maintenance.
- Provide support to warehouse staff as required in managing and documenting the receipt, handling, storage, dispatching and reporting of goods through the IRC warehouse(s).
- Finalize monthly report for the expendables store, outlining all stock movements and remaining balances for Bama base.
- Maintain records/authorizations for warehouse staff designated to receive and dispatch goods.
- Ensure warehouse and stocks are secure, well managed and documented.
- Ensure proper tracking, maintenance, and recording of all IRC assets in Gwoza Base, which will lead to an accurate asset database at all times.
- Ensure that each staff member in Gwoza is accountable for every asset assigned to them using the Equipment Issue / Receipt forms.
- Implement maintenance systems and procedures for assets, including follow-up.
- Ensure quarterly physical check of assets and submission of asset reports to assets officer and logistics manager for review.
- Liaise with assets officer & logistics manager to recommend disposal of assets in Gwoza to ensure that it is reviewed and implemented annually as per IRC and donor requirements regulations.
- Ensure that an up-to-date filing system for all assets is maintained.
- Retrieve assets and reassigned at the end of employee term of service.
Fleet and Transport Management:
- Oversee the management of the transport fleet for Gwoza base. Ensure that vehicles are allocated to program / departments in an efficient manner and in coordination with Program teams and logistics manager.
- Ensure that systems are in place to account for transported goods.
- Collects log sheets and ensure it is properly filled.
Manage and monitor drivers.
- Ensure that all vehicles carry the required on-board documentation and that all documents are kept current (including insurance).
- Prepare monthly reports on Fuel Usage, Mileage and Spares Expenditures by vehicle for review, general reporting, and analysis for continuous improvement.
- Ensure management, tracking, maintenance, and reporting of all IRC vehicles in Gwoza according to IRC policy.
- Ensure that all vehicles are secure when not in use.
- Manage and be accountable for the vehicle fleet, ordering and inventory management of all vehicle related parts and consumables, including fuel.
- Ensures all infrastructures within office spaces are maintained and functioning at any given time. this may include working rooms/spaces, doors, windows, hand washing facilities, latrines etc.
- Ensure that facilities in guesthouses are at all times maintained and functioning. This may include maintenance of individual living rooms, doors, windows, hand washing facilities, latrines etc.
- Manages the maintenance needs of all warehouses in the base office with the support of maintenance team in Maiduguri.
- Responsible for proactive maintains of equipment, tools, furniture, generators etc. in the office and at the guesthouses.
- Manage all expenses related to maintenance requirements and raises timely PRs.
- Prepares proactive maintenance plan with support of the maintenance officer in Maiduguri and submits to logistics manager for approval.
- Maintains all necessary documentations with regard to maintenance.
- Prepare and submit monthly report on maintenance functions in Gwoza office.
- Responsible for compiling regular reports from Gwoza base on inventory stock levels, pharmaceutical stock levels, fuel consumption and fleet performance and activities.
- Responsible for compiling regular reports from Gwoza regarding Contributions-in-Kind.
Other Internal and / or external contacts:
- Internal: Programs and operations teams
- External: Transport vendors, logistics coordination meetings in Gwoza.
Other Human Resource Functions:
- Read, review and become knowledgeable of the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
- Perform other related duties as required by the supervisor and Log Manager.
- University Studies / Higher Education in Engineering, Business Administration, or any other related course.
- 1 years of experience in similar position.
- Previous NGO experience will be an added advantage.
- Logistics Certification will be desirable.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong written and oral English communications skills
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to present information effectively; experience providing training and staff development a plus.
- Strong skills in collaboration with multi-cultural and diverse teams
- Commitment to consistently improving and developing innovative solutions in response to challenges.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.