Lead, HR Policies, Contracts and Processes, CHHR0 at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Lead, HR Policies, Contracts and Processes, CHHR0
Reference: ADB / 21 / 039
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50083825
- The Vice-Presidency, Corporate Services and Human Resources (CHVP) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, Information Technology (IT), general services and institutional procurement, language services, business continuity, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department
- The role of the Human Resources Management department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the HR Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed HR work-way, CHHR department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and HR delivery, Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice benchmarking, HR Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new HR Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- Within the Human Resources Department (CHHR), the Policies, Contracts, and Processes Team is responsible for Case Management, HR Policies, Contracts, and Legal Affairs management, as well as Compensation & Recognition.
The main functions of the Lead HR Policies, Contracts, and Processes are as follows:
- Case Management: The Lead, HR Policies, Contracts, and Processes will coordinate a team of professionals in charge of Case Management function, which includes the framework for supporting issues relating to disciplinary procedures and practice, settlement of grievances, and the formal conflict resolution process.
- HR Policies, Contracts, and Legal Affairs: The Lead will support changes and transformation of existing policies by reviewing and proposing changes to policies and employment conditions.
- Compensation & Recognition: The Lead will support the efforts and related consultations which should lead to the approval and potential future updates of the Total Compensation Framework (TCF). In consultation with the Compensation Officer, the Lead will ensure the implementation of all aspects of the approved TCF across the Bank.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, Human Resources Management, this position will be responsible for the following accountabilities:
- Establish and integrate the three sub-units of Case Management, Policy, and Compensation. This includes preparing the job descriptions for all positions in the business unit and working with each unit to integrate all into an effective team.
- Establish and manage re-engineered processes for key areas of formal disciplinary practice, grievance procedure, and the formal conflict resolution process.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to other professionals in the team, as well as to the CHHR community.
- Establish appropriate relationships and liaison with appropriate business areas such as Ethics, PIAC, PGCL etc.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with other internal and external key stakeholders and respond to requests appropriately.
- Resolve complex issues and challenges in own area of expertise, such as application of rules and guidelines for situations not provided in existing manuals, providing concept notes and written opinions for complex situations and developments.
- Prepare mid-term draft of business unit goals and aspirations, as well as the annual workplan and deliverables.
- Identify and design templates for periodic management reports which capture trends and developments, as well as monitor and report on progress (or none thereof) on approved deliverables.
- Identify weaknesses and implement improvements in processes, systems, as well as in service quality.
- Design and deliver outreach and training for identified focus groups of internal stakeholders on relevant topics and identified areas of emphases for the business unit.
- Oversee and manage outreach programs to establish and internalize AfDB’s new philosophy and standards on disciplinary procedures and professional expectations.
- Lead the assessment of existing digital tools and platforms and propose new best practice, as well as introduce new and appropriate technologies.
- Analyze and prepare periodic reports on trends and conclusions, as well as lessons learnt in the operations of new business unit.
- Organize and hold regular meetings with appropriate business units in order to understand issues and challenges in real time, and to be able to provide effective proposals and advice to senior management.
- Maintain regularly updated portfolio of deliverables and provide reports on key issues and challenges.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Law, Human Resources Management or in other related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years’ relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience advising on, or managing accountabilities relating to disciplinary procedures and practice, settlement of grievances, formal and informal conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated experience advising on, or managing accountabilities relating to compensation, reward and recognition.
- Applied experience in advising on or managing corporate issues relating to HR and people, and contract management challenges in international organizations such as AfDB.
- Have achieved clearly defined and demonstrable results in the course of his or her career. Have demonstrated individual competence in leading and delivering on transformational initiatives in the field under consideration.
- Have demonstrable skills and competence in relating to and communicating with small and large groups. Competence in written as well as in platform communication is essential.
- Seasoned knowledge of the HR policies, strategies, rules, procedures and practices of the AfDB or other international institutions.
- Exposure to, and knowledge of cutting-edge trends and practices in disciplinary procedures and management, ethics, and conflict management is an essential requirement in this position.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.
Application Closing Date
27th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This Position is classified as International Recruitment and attracts International Terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.