External Facilitator – Basic Emergency Obstetrics and Neonatal Care at Medecins du Monde (MdM)
Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: External Facilitator – Basic Emergency Obstetrics and Neonatal Care
- To improve understanding of BEmONC
- To improve Health Care provider’s skills on Management of common components of BEmONC
- Practical demonstrations on manikins, power point presentation, a pretest and a post test, case study and practical sessions, participatory methods, and other exercises if need be.
At the end of the training course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe basic and comprehensive EmOC and the team approach to the provision of care in relation to reducing maternal mortality
- Describe the ethical issues related to EmOC, including feeling a sense of urgency, accountability for one’s actions, respect for human life, and recognition and respect for the right of women to life, health, privacy and dignity
- Use interpersonal communication techniques that facilitate the development of a caring and trusting relationship with the woman when providing EmOC
- Use recommended IP practices for all aspects of EmOC
- Describe the process of rapid initial assessment and management of a woman who presents with a problem .
- Identify the presenting symptoms and signs of shock and describe immediate and specific management .
- Describe the principles and procedure of blood transfusion, including recognition and management of transfusion reactions .
- Perform adult resuscitation .
- Identify the presenting symptoms and signs, determine the probable diagnosis and use simplified management protocols for vaginal bleeding in early and later pregnancy
- Perform MVA for incomplete abortion
- Identify the presenting symptoms and signs, determine the probable diagnosis and use simplified management protocols for pregnancy-induced hypertension
- Identify and manage cord prolapse
- Provide care during labour, childbirth and the postpartum period
- Demonstrate use of the parthograph to monitor progress in labour, recognize unsatisfactory progress in a timely manner and respond appropriately.
- Demonstrate clean and safe childbirth Management of the third stage of labour and examination of the placenta and birth canal after the birth
- Perform and repair an episiotomy .
- Identify and repair cervical tears .
- Perform a breech delivery
- Perform a vacuum extraction
- Identify the presenting symptoms and signs, determine the probable diagnosis and use simplified management protocols for vaginal bleeding after childbirth
- Perform bi-manual compression of the uterus
- Perform abdominal aortic compression
- Perform manual removal of the placenta
- Identify the presenting symptoms and signs, determine the probable diagnosis and use simplified management protocols for fever during and after childbirth
- Describe normal newborn care
- Perform basic newborn resuscitation using a self-inflating bag and mask
- Describe Anesthesia and pain management associated with obstetric emergencies
- Describe pre- and post-operative care for women who require obstetric surgery
- Perform a postpartum hysterectomy*
- Describe the procedure for performing a craniotomy*
- Describe the steps involved in setting up EmOC services and managing them on a day-to-day basis.
Summary of topics
- Overview of BEmONC
- Management of postpartum hemorrhage, retained placenta with practical session
- Management of shock
- Fever in pregnancy, labor and postpartum period
- Management of preeclampsia, Eclampsia
- Neonatal resuscitation practical session
- Episiotomy, episiorrhaphy, and repair of tears
Qualifications, Desired & Preferred
- MBBS, or Nurse / Midwife.
- Consultant Obstetrician and Gyanae
- Over 5 years of Experience in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Trainer of Trainee in BEMONC
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Assessment and analytical skills.
- Strong leadership, decision making and management skills.
- Ability to work in stressful situations.
- Problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Duration for the Training
- 10 days Training in two batches
- 5 Days for batch A and 5 Days for batch B.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a proposal for interest, maximum of 3 pages, indicating their competencies and experiences on similar activity, an estimated budget, as well as their availability to carry the mission (dates) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “BEMONC Facilitator” as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications without the subject stated above will not be treated