Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) – USAID Water Resource Management at WaterAid Nigeria
WaterAid is an international non-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP)-USAID Water Resource Management – WASH Project in Cross River Basin, Nigeria
Location: Cross River
Date: May, 2021
Reports to: Chief of Party
Direct Reports: M & E Specialist
Department: Programmes Directorate.
Duration: 2 years (renewable)
Travel: 30% travel (Local)
- WaterAid is a leading international non-governmental organization focused on increasing sustainable access to water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) in the poorest communities in the developing world. WaterAid works in 35 countries, and over the 38 years of its existence, it has reached over 25.8 million people with clean water and 25.1 million people with decent toilets.
- WaterAid Nigeria is prospecting to implement a USAID-funded Water Resource Management and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) intervention titled, Strengthening Community Resilience through Improved WASH Service Delivery and WRM in Cross River and Akwa Ibom states. The overriding goal of the programme is, “Improve sustainable WASH service delivery and water resource management in Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers states of the Cross River basin in southern Nigeria”.
- This goal will be accomplished by creating access to safe drinking water, enabling sanitation through effective watershed protection and management, and building capacity of basin and state WASH institutions, operators, and private sector partners to plan and manage water resources.
- As a result, the program will improve hygiene practices and WASH in homes, schools and healthcare facilities in targeted communities which in turn will enhance resilience and improve health.
Purpose of Role
- The Deputy Chief of Party oversees the operation and programmatic aspects of the IWRM-WASH activity
The key accountabilities of the Deputy Chief of Party include the following:
- Support the Chief of Party in the effective coordination of the implementation process of the project in the 2 States
- Support the Chief of Party in the effective management and coordination with other project staff, particularly key experts of the project in the 2 States.
- Support the Chief of Party in the efficient management of project resources both human and capital with a view to ensuring cost effectiveness and value for money in managing the project.
- Support the Chief of Party in ensuring timely and quality delivery of all consultancies or any other work commissioned under the project in any of the 2 States.
- Create and maintain a positive environment conducive for high performance of the department.
- Accountable for forecasting and developing periodic budgets for the department; manage day to day expenses in a manner that demonstrates WaterAid value of accountability and provide periodic budget management reports as may be required.
- Effectively manage matrix management work structure & ability to influence others to achieve results and deliver on time.
- Represent WANG in different task groups, working committees, networks, alliances, workshops and meetings as assigned.
- Deliver other cross organizational projects and/or initiatives as may be required by the Chief of Party
- Mininum of 5 years’ professional experience in Nigeria, in WASH implementation and in managing or implementing development programs.
- A Master’s Degree in Water Resources Management, Water Engineering, International Development, Environment, or related field of study.
- Excellent management skills and good knowledge of USG procedures and policies, agreement compliance, financial planning and management, procurement, sub-award management, and other management support areas/functions, including the ability to manage multidisciplinary teams.
- Familiarity with the political, economic, social, and cultural context of Nigeria is required.
- Strong understanding of WASH governance structures in Nigeria with particular reference to Akwa-Ibom and Cross River states.
- Possess solid foundation in a broad range of WASH subjects preferred, including areas such as innovative sanitation, Water Resources Management, Sanitation marketing, water for the poor, tariff and cost recovery, hygiene promotion, operation and maintenance, institutional strengthening and sector reform.
- Experience in designing or managing small town or village level water systems.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Fluency in English language with a working knowledge of the local language, of the proposed project location.
- A strong knowledge and experience of work with or on USAID supported projects/programmes is highly essential.
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
- This is our pledge to you.
Application Closing Date
17th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in a single word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the Job Title in the subject of the email.
- To qualify for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
- If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, Kindly apply.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
- We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.